XNA 4.0 Documentation in Visual Studio 2012
Now that you’ve got XNA 4.0 working in VS2012, what about documentation? Sure, you could use the documentation on the MSDN website, but what if you’re one of those weirdos that prefer using the local Help Viewer that comes with the IDE? Well, thanks to some work by a good friend of mine, this, too, is possible.
For convenience, he’s packaged the required files in a single ZIP archive. You’ll need to download this file before you begin.
Size: 12.3 MB | Checksum: a6d3f1a5c11f049ad92b0cecaf7cb17a
The archive contains the following files:
Once you have that downloaded, continue with these steps:
- Extract the ZIP file.
- Run Microsoft Help Viewer 2.0.
- Select the “Manage Content” tab.
- For the “Installation source”, select “Disk”.
- Select the HelpContentXna.msha file you extracted earlier.
- Click the “Add” link next to the new XNA Game Studio 4.0 entry.
- Click the “Update” button in the bottom right.
And, once again, that’s it. The XNA 4.0 documentation is now available through VS2012’s Help Viewer. Pressing F1 with the cursor on an XNA class or method brings up the appropriate page in Help Viewer, just as you’d expect.